7 Practical Tips to Prepare for Surgery Abroad
Surgery by itself daunting and it is all the more nerve-wracking when it is scheduled in a foreign land. It is scary and confusing as one is not sure where to start and whom to choose but if you follow the compiled list below you will have nothing to worry.
- Research your destination of choice: It is not enough if you find out about the country and their culture, it is important too to ascertain that the hospital and the doctor you have chosen are accredited by proper authorities in the medical field. It is here that you can rely on advice at MyMediTravel who have done all the hard work for you.
- Be well informed about the treatment: It is crucial that you understand the procedure completely. Therefore, schedule a consultation with the doctor beforehand itself and do not shy away from asking questions, no matter how silly.
- Be aware of the visa requirements: Ensure that you have the proper visa for your destination. You might have to apply in advance for some countries because the visa processing time varies between embassies and can take weeks.
- Update your medical history: Your medical history must include all allergies, the supplements you are taking, vaccinations in addition to prescribed medication. Keep a few copies of the history with you.
- Talk to your insurance provider: Clarify if the procedure abroad can be reimbursed fully or at least in part and in case it is possible what are the documents needed. Do collect all medical reports and bills from your hospital.
- Plan your leave: You must take into account not only the time needed for surgery and the recovery time but also the travel time.
- Pack smartly: Keep a checklist of things you are supposed to carry along with your travel documents and medical reports. Choose clothes appropriate for the weather.